top of page

Advice on Party Walls

A party wall is a wall that is shared by two or more properties and is used to separate them. In the UK, the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 sets out the legal framework for how party walls should be dealt with and how disputes should be resolved.

If you are planning to carry out work on a party wall, it is important to follow the proper procedures to avoid disputes with your neighbours. Here are some general tips:

  • Give your neighbours proper notice: The Act requires you to give your neighbours at least two months' notice in writing before you start any work on a party wall. This notice should include details of the work you plan to carry out, the start and finish dates, and any other relevant information.

  • Hire a surveyor: If your neighbours disagree with your plans or fail to respond to your notice within 14 days, you may need to hire a surveyor to assess the impact of the work on the party wall and make a recommendation. The surveyor will be neutral and will try to reach an agreement between you and your neighbours.

  • Follow the surveyor's recommendations: If you and your neighbours cannot agree on the work, the surveyor will produce a party wall award, which sets out the terms under which the work can be carried out. It is important to follow these terms to avoid disputes and potential legal action.


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page